On Oct 6, 2015, at 1:08 PM, Hassan Schroeder <hassan.schroe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 5:35 AM, Walter Lee Davis <wa...@wdstudio.com> wrote:
>
>> And it seems to work very well. But I have a test site that it is not
>> finding. When I comment out the rescue portion, the error I get indicates
>> that the host could not be found. I have tried adding a line to the hosts
>> file (the way you would on a Mac to do fake DNS for a development site) and
>> this too appears to be ignored completely. The Rails server is running on
>> Ubuntu 14, with all the latest patches, and I even tried rebooting the
>> entire server to get any caches to clear. Dig on the server is able to find
>> the test machine, but Net::HTTP on the same server cannot.
>
> The (std) library name is Resolv, and no, it doesn't use /etc/hosts by
> default, just the servers referenced in /etc/resolv.conf.
>
> There is however a Resolv::Hosts that you could fall back to for
> test purposes.
>
> What's in the /etc/resolv.conf on your server?

Thanks for the tip. Here's the contents:

# Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
#     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
nameserver 8.8.4.4
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 209.244.0.3

I'm going to experiment with adding my EasyDNS hosts to this lookup list.

Walter