Thanks, Christian.  you've given me some things to consider, but
Present? is only in the error message, not in my code.  Things seem to
work a little better if I comment out the authorize! line in my show and
edit methods, but then the sign out seems to break as well as the
dynamic elements of my profile page (including the admin pages).  I am
not sure how to proceed.