Found solution everything is working now. I discovered Cloudfront did
not play a role in the error in this matter. When I disabled and enabled
it there was no change affect on the problem. How, it worked perfectly
once is used the solution below fix the issue.

The image was pointing to path.I used sass Image specific helper:
background-image:image-url("photo.jpg") and it worked. According to sass
instructions
here https://github.com/rails/sass-rails.