I'm unable to get the character counter to show an initial value.

When you type a something in, it says -1, -3, -4. It starts off at 0,
instead of the maximum amount allowed. I'd prefer it countdown from the
highest amount of characters allowed. 400, 399, 398, etc

$(document).ready(function() {
      var counter, max_length, review_text;
      review_text = $('#body');
      counter = $('#counter');
      max_length = counter.data('maximum-length');
      review_text.keyup(function() {
        counter.text(max_length - ($(this).val().length));
      });
    });