If you want to learn Ruby, than learn Ruby.  Learning Rails is not the same
as learning Ruby.  I suggest anyone who wants to learn Rails learn Ruby
first because that's what Rails is built on.  There are numerous options
for learning Ruby, you can try codeacademy, or learnrubythehardway.org -
both free options for learning Ruby.

Do not do the Hartl Tutorial and expect to learn Ruby - you will not learn
Ruby - you will learn Ruby on Rails