On Wed, 24 Oct 2018 at 12:12, John Sanderbeck <bandor...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm working on a project that has the following setup
>
> I have a table called Assessment
>
> for each assessment there can be different reasons and consequences defined
> for that assessment
>
> then for each assessment the teacher takes multiple data entries over a
> period of time
>
> each data entry can choose multiple reasons and consequences from the ones
> defined in the assessment
>
> So you have assessment
> has_many :reasons
> accepts_nested_attributes_for :reasons
> has_many :consequences
> accepts_nested_attributes_for :consequences
> has_many :data_entries
> accepts_nested_attributes_for :data_entries
>
> Then reasons
> belongs_to :assessment
> has_and_belongs_to_many :data_entries

If I understand the problem correctly then you don't need that, you
can do has_many data_entries through assessment and in data_entries
the same thing the other way round. That is assuming that all the
data_entries for a reason are those defined for the assessment it
belongs to. Then to get the data_entries for a reason you use
reason.assesment.data_entries.  Similarly for the other classes.

Colin