> On Feb 9, 2019, at 1:55 PM, Daniel Toma <tomad...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm 5 weeks into a training program that consists of Ruby, Ruby on Rails,
> Javascript, and React.  I'm about the wrap up the 3-week module for Ruby on
> Rails, and chose to do a project that simulates a basic airline reservation
> system.
> The requirements are minimal:  have at least 3 classes (one being a join
> class) and use the CRUD methods with a Postgresql db.  The processes of
> creating a reservation, reading an existing reservation, updating a
> reservation, and deleting a reservation are straightforward, but I'd like to
> jazz it up a bit for the presentation.
>
> I have the code that eliminates a seat from the list of available seats once
> that seat is reserved, but I was wondering if there's a way to incorporate a
> standard graphic that shows which seats are available (usually a green color)
> and which are taken (usually gray with an 'X').    I'm thinking that the
> graphic would be an HTML form with embedded Ruby, and that each "seat" could
> be represented.  The graphic would represent my Index.html.erb view, that
> would show the seat number and its status (occupied vs. available).  I just
> can't think of how this would be done, and I was wondering if anyone had an
> idea.

That looks like a really fun project.  In the early 90's (yes, I'm old) I was
commissioned to write a MacOS app for ticket sellers for venues where they
could click on a similar seat layout to toggle their status from available to
unavailable and be able to save the state and load it up later.  (This was all
in C at the time.)

Today I write software for property management in RoR to reserve dates for
reservations for several hundred properties.

Anyway, for the purpose of your demo... you could cheat without using any JS
and without having to reload the page if you just want a visual effect?

Something like this:

<head>
a:visited {
  background-color: yellow;