> On Feb 22, 2019, at 2:36 PM, nickweil...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> Hoping to direct some people to this question on StackOverflow:
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/54815058/why-might-average-free-memory-slots-dramatically-increase-after-upgrading-to-rub
>
> After upgrading to Ruby 2.6.1 I noticed a large increase in free memory slots
> with a consistent pattern for them tapering off (graphs in StackOverflow
> question).  I don't notice and performance impact, but interested in why it
> might be happening.
>
> Thanks!

Do you have JIT enabled or not?  There's a lot of potential for JIT, but it is
very experimental for now, and not so good for Rails yet.  Otherwise it sounds
like a garbage collection (GC) issue.

I would recommend reading this:

https://pragprog.com/book/adrpo/ruby-performance-optimization

There's some good stuff there on how to bench and tune things (albeit, slightly
out of date).

A few simple examples is to use direct SQL queries when possible instead of
full model loads, and using the BANG (!) methods when possible (in other words,
using, say "reject!" instead of "myvar = myvar.reject ...")

Hope this helps.

Phil