Sounds like you need some Javascript.

You should be able to use Javascript to manipulate a hidden field that will
contain an array of items, or their ids. You will need to get your hands dirty
with Javascript, I see no other "DOM-oriented" way to do it.

if you're not opposed to Jquery I'd just recommend jQuery UI's draggable which
implements many hooks that will be good for you

https://jqueryui.com/draggable/ <https://jqueryui.com/draggable/>

-Jason