If you shell out to Python, you will have access to anything that Python has
access to. I haven't used it in many years, so I don't know what that might be,
but it would be the same as running your Python application raw in the native
operating system, because that's what you're actually doing.

python your_program.py

vs

#! /usr/bin/env ruby

result = system 'python your_program.py'

There's really no difference from the point of view of the python program.

Walter