On Monday, September 16, 2019 at 4:31:29 PM UTC-4, Ariel Juodziukynas wrote:

> Personally, I would do this:
>
> auctions table
> (with the basic shared information of all auctions and an "auction type"))
>
> properties table
> property_name (like network, carrier, publisher, etc)
> auction_type (like cellphone, book, etc)
>
> auctions_properties
> auction_id
> property_id
> value
>
> That way you can have any number of auction types with any number of
> specific properties with just 3 tables.
>
> Note that the "value" column would be some string variation (VARCHAR,
> CHAR, TEXT, etc) depending on your needs, maybe you want to redesign it a
> little if you want to store different types. Like if you want to store an
> integer (and retrieve an integer) you'll have to save the original type and
> reparse it (you could use serialization but that requires a TEXT column and
> maybe you can't use that many space)
>
> El lun., 16 sept. 2019 a las 17:19, fugee ohu (<fuge...@gmail.com
> <javascript:>>) escribió:
>
>> I was looking at some auction projects that use a single listings table
>> for all auctions but I know on auction sites the form will be different for
>> different types of items like if you're selling a cell phone there'll be a
>> form field for network, carrier, whatever and if you're selling a book
>> there'll be form fields for publisher, year of publication,  so they would
>> have separate tables I assume for books, cell phones, etc? Then how would
>> they treat them all as one?
>>
>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rubyonrails-talk/512f8b73-e3a4-4e74-95e7-4281e7b54821%40googlegroups.com
>>
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rubyonrails-talk/512f8b73-e3a4-4e74-95e7-4281e7b54821%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>> .

Normally when you submit a form it's for a single record but each item is
going to have many item_item_properties and each of them in turn have to be
presented as a form field with the label coming from item_property.name and
the field being :text_value (a text data type field) How am I going to do
that? I can't just place fields for different records alongside each other
on a singe form