adamfowleruk wrote:
> I recently wanted to come up with a solution to searching by a
> category (E.g. Shoes), sub category (E.g. Shoes > Blue), or sub sub
> category to any depth. This represents an obvious DB challenge not to
> mention model objects in RoR. I've come up with an elegant solution
> using Binary Trees and thought it might be useful to others. I've
> documented it here:
>
> http://web.me.com/adamfowleruk/adamslife/Blog/Entries/2009/1/13_A_Strategy_for_Hierarchical_Searches_in_a_single_SQL_entity_table.html
>
> Note I've not used it in anger yet, and have not QA'ed the Ruby and
> Java code at the end of the entry, but the approach is simple enough
> and easy for anyone to pick up.
>
> Category searching to any depth using 1 column/model variable. 8o)
>
> I'd appreciate any feedback, especially if anyone can think of a more
> elegant way to do it?

Adam, the usual way this is done is with the nested-set data
structure, which effectively also uses btrees in the DB index
for the "left" column. Searching by pattern match would be
somewhat slower than such indexed nested-set searches.

Your method does have the advantage of being able to add children
without having to fix-up the tree afterwards, and for giving each
node a permanent hierarchy identifier that makes it easy to do
subcategory searches in search-engine indices. The nested-set
method can however be tweaked to have the same properties.

--
Rails Wheels - Find Plugins, List & Sell Plugins - http://railswheels.com