Ruby on windows works fine. The package you have there works fine for
general web development with Rails. However you've got a lot of things
oyu have to learn in order to be able to build a blog in 10 minutes.

I have a couple of resources you might find useful though:

First, I maintain a simple tutorial for beginners which you can get
from http://www.napcs.com/resources/rails/cookbook/index.html which
will give you a basic introduction to Rails. You'll build a small
application and then give you some places to go next.

Next, I really recommend the "Agile Web Development with Rails" book.
You can get a PDF right now and it will get you going on the right
path.
http://www.pragprog.com/titles/rails3/agile-web-development-with-rails-third-edition

After that, get working on stuff. Build things and ask questions when
you get stuck. The community is awesome and is willing to help you.

-Brian