On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 9:13 AM, Tony Tony <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net
> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm having a hard time trying to find a good tutorial on how to generate
> a field (with ajax) from a dropdown selection.
>
> For example:
>
> I have an app where you can select up to two tickets per person. Only if
> the user selects '2' from the dropdown menu should a field pop
> up/generate below the dropdown and ask the user for the name of the
> second person.
>
> So far I have the following code:
>
> <h3>Number of Tickets?</h3>
> <%= select :tickets, :quantity, { "Select quantity" => "", "1" => "1",
> "2" => "2"}  %>
>
> <h3>Name of guest?</h3>
>  <%= f.text_field :guest_name %>
>

> So in my case, only if quantity is selected as two should guest_name
> appear (without refreshing the page).
>

> Thanks in advance and THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME!!

I was looking for an answer to much the same question not too long ago.  I
found all sorts of tutorials showing how to populate a 2nd drop down menu
based upon the contents of the first (such as
http://pullmonkey.com/2008/3/30/dynamic-select-boxes-ruby-on-rails).
Ultimately, I was able to learn enough from reading those to learn that (in
your case) I would want to put a blank <div> tag in my layout where I would
want the "name of guest" stuff to appear, and to populate the "name of
guest" stuff only when quantity == 2.

I hope this helps.

--wpd