The default database for Rails apps was changed from Mysql to Sqlite.
Thankfully, it's quite easy to switch your DB:

If you are starting a Rails project from scratch, run your rails
command like so:
rails -d mysql myapp

If you want to  switch an exisiting project from Sqlite to Mysql:
set adapter to "mysql" in your config/database.yml file.

Hope to help,
Jason Arora