Well, I haven't watched the screencast, but can't really imagine how
"harmful" that could be.

The first thing you would need to do is use the permalink_fu plugin ->
http://github.com/technoweenie/permalink_fu/tree/master

And then you could override the "find" method in your model to a
finder like this one:

    def find( *args )

      if args.first.kind_of?( String ) and !args.first.kind_of?(
Symbol ) and (args.first !~ /^[0-9]/ || args.first.include?('-'))
        if args.size == 1
          super :first, :conditions => { permalink_field => args.first }
        else
          with_scope :find => { :conditions => { permalink_field =>
args.first } } do
              args[ 0 ] = :first
              super( *args )
      else
        super( *args )

What would assure that if a number is passed, it would use the good
old finder, but if it's not a number, it will try to find using the
too.

-
Maurício Linhares
http://alinhavado.wordpress.com/ (pt-br) | http://blog.codevader.com/ (en)