Hi, I read that Rails 2.3 will be the pre-cursor to Rails 3.0.  Also, Rails
3.0 by default will include what you're using now with the relevant
Merb additions and/or enhancements.  The exact details are forthcoming.
 Next, you're not forced to upgrade your production systems until you're
ready.  Furthermore, you can always check the commits on
Github, experiment with Edge Rails, and check the various blog posts from
contributors and trackers.  Lastly, the projected date of release for the
system is within the month of May but it's not clear as to what form this
will be (i.e. RC1, RC2, or Final).
Good luck,

-Conrad