I use this approach, too. Moreover I like to separate all admin
controllers in their own namespace. Unfortunately in version 2.2
creating scaffold in namespace creates tables with admin_ (if
namespace is admin) prefix which is annoying and looks to me as a
bug.

Also in your controller you can put:

before_filter :require_admin

where require_admin is a method defined in your application.rb and
returns true if current user has admin flag set.

You can use before_filter in another way to require admin just for
some actions:

before_filter :require_admin, :except => ['index']

of

before_filter :require_admin, :only => 'destroy'

Regards,
Bosko