What does your Rails application do that other developers will be
interested in?   If you have some neat functionality that you want
others to use as a library, then release it as a gem.   If your entire
application does something wonderful, put in a SOAP or  REST interface
to it so it can be hosted as a web service.

I fail to see the connection between an iPhone application and the
Rails application.  An iPhone application does give you a wider
audience thanks to the app store.   So it is worth a shot if you a
have a good idea for an application.