Jason Roelofs wrote:

> And the problem is? I mean, script/plugin install git... works exactly
> as expected, if you have git installed and it works like it should.
>
> Please state what problem you're having instead of just blatantly
> bashing something that works for 99% of the people who try to use it.
>
> Jason

Hi
I am a noob on RoR and I will agree that this git dependency came in from
the left field for me too!:confused:

All the documentation I saw about plugins blithely says use the following
command to install plugin -

rubby script/plugin install acts_as_tree
and it works....

But when I went to try to install acts_as_authenticated and used -
      ruby script/plugin install
git://github.com/gundestrup/acts_as_authenticated.git
      ruby script/generate authenticated user account

I got the error authenticated not found!

working back I found that nothing had been installed in the plug-ins
directory. AND there was no error message  during the install either.

After a lot of hunting on forums, I found this post which says that I need
to install this git client! That is not consistent.

:thinking:A gem (git-gem?)dependency I could understand.  but a whole new
client to keep track off?  Rails doesnt need you to install svn or Perforce
or anything right?  You should need these only if you are going to make
changes to the plug-in....

So thanks for posting this as now I am off to install git  but want to share
my thoughts.

Quoted from:
http://www.nabble.com/HowTo-install-plugins-from-github--tp21591148p21841502.html