Using MacPorts To Install Ruby 1.9.1 and Rails 2.3.0 RC1

WARNING:  If you want to live on the edge, please continue with the steps
below.  Also, please be aware that all gems are not fully compatible with
          Ruby 1.9.1 stable release (i.e. 1.9.1p0).  Furthermore, this
installation requires you to remove ALL Ruby related gems and ports because
          we are performing a clean install.  Lastly, I am using an
experimental machine (i.e. Apple PowerMac G5) to complete this task and I
would
          NOT advise the below actions within a production environment.

0)  Remove Previous Ruby Ports (i.e. ruby, ruby19, rb-*, and so on) and Gems

    a) Ports

       sudo port uninstall <port-name>
       sudo port clean <port-name>

       Note:  Execute the above for all ruby related ports.

    b) Gems

       rm -rf /opt/local/lib/ruby
       rm -rf /opt/local/lib/ruby19

       Note:  You may not need to execute both commands and this really
depends on what you have installed and how.

1)  Remove Rake ( Optional If It Does Not Exist )

     sudo rm -rf /opt/local/bin/rake

2)  Install Ruby 1.9.1, SQLite3, and Mysql 5 Ports

     sudo port install ruby19 +nosuffix
     sudo port mysql5 +server
     sudo port sqlite3

     Note:  The above ruby19 install generates the required executables
without the extension.

3)  Install Rack, Rake, and Rails 2.3.0 Ruby Gems

     sudo gem install rack
     sudo gem install rake
     sudo gem install rails --source=http://gems.rubyonrails.org

4)  Install SQLite 3 Ruby Gem

     sudo gem install sqlite3-ruby

5)  Install MySQL 2.8.1 Ruby Gem

     sudo gem install kwatch-mysql-ruby --
--with-mysql-config=/opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin/mysql_config

6)  Install Thin

     sudo gem install thin

7)  Generate Rails Test Application

     rails test

8)  Change To The Root Of Rails Application

     cd test

9)  Start Thin

     script/server thin

     Note:  The above command produces the above warning message:

               warning: encoding option is ignored - N

10) Navigate To The Site Using Your Browser:

      Result:  You should see the "Rails Welcome aboard" page.

11) Now, Let Us Generate A Simple Blog

      script/generate scaffold blog title:string text:text

      Note:  The above command produces the above warning message:

                warning: encoding option is ignored - N

12) Migrate The Database

      rake db:migrate

13) Navigate To The Site Using Your Browser:

     and interact with the Rails application to verify that things are
working.

14) If you made it this far,

     you are running Rails 2.3.0 RC1 and Ruby 1.9.1.

Good luck,

-Conrad