Robert Walker wrote:
> Conrad Taylor wrote:
>> Hi, I have both Intel and G5 Macs and I was able to simply install MySQL
>> without
>> requiring any architecture flags.
>
> I didn't say it was required to install MySQL. It is, however, necessary
> for installing the mysql gem using RubyGems on Mac OS X Leopard.
>
> Note: It's not required for Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger).

By the way that command for installing the mysql gem I posted was
straight out of the instructions in comments at the top of the
database.yml file for a new Rails 2.2.2 project, which looks something
like:

# MySQL.  Versions 4.1 and 5.0 are recommended.
#
# Install the MySQL driver:
#   gem install mysql
# On Mac OS X:
#   sudo gem install mysql -- --with-mysql-dir=/usr/local/mysql
# On Mac OS X Leopard:
#   sudo env ARCHFLAGS="-arch i386" gem install mysql --
--with-mysql-config=/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql_config
#       This sets the ARCHFLAGS environment variable to your native
architecture