I use Cygwin (basically a linux command line environment that runs on
windows) + e (a windows Textmate clone, including textmate bundles) on
a windows machine.

E (http://www.e-texteditor.com) is every bit as good as Textmate, and
under constant development. Free trial, but $34.95 for a lifetime
license, which is very worth it as it's cheaper than buying a Mac).
Rails and other applicable bundles include snippets of code, syntax
highlighting, and macros that turn Textmate/e into something that
comes pretty close to being a full IDE without all the heaviness and
opacity of an IDE. I have tried Vim a couple of times, but the
learning curve is too steep and I always give up. Textmate/e looks
enough like a regular text editor to let you jump in with both feet
with no experience, but offers a lot of power and versatility to be
discovered as you progress.

E actually includes Cygwin (http://http://www.cygwin.com/) as part of
its install, which is how I got started with it. Since then I've found
it's easier to do your own install of Cygwin. You can re-run setup.exe
(found at their website, above) over and over again to add packages
such as ruby, gems, libssh, git, imagemagick, etc. as you figure out
you need them by just clicking a checkbox. It's a little confusing at
first, but actually really easy once you get the hang of it.

One of the simple things that makes using Cygwin instead of native
Ruby on windows nice is that you don't have to type ruby over and over
again, which makes following along with tutorials and examples online
much easier (i.e. "script/server" instead of "ruby script/server").
Also, I find that Git on Cygwin is much more reliable than the Windows
port of Git (although I haven't tried in a while, and I'm sure it's
gotten better). As you get into Rails, you'll eventually find Git
necessary, so this is something to consider and actually a valid
argument against some of the IDEs with strictly SVN integration. Oh,
and ssh integration into the command line is much easier, too.

Hope all this helps, and good luck. Rails is easy to get interested
in, but hard to master, because it's such a moving target.

--dhc--