They are both equivalent in terms of functionality.

The first is a common rails idiom:

@some_collection.collect(&:id)
or
@some_collection.map(&:id) #I've seen this one used more than
collect...

The ampersand syntax is simply telling the interpreter that the symbol
is the block parameter to the method. Internally the to_proc method of
the symbol class is called.

Here's a reference:
http://apidock.com/rails/Symbol/to_proc

Beware, doing @foo.map(&:id) doesn't perform as well as @foo.map { |f|
f.id } for big numbers of foos...
Also note that this is a Rails only feature (ie: try it on plain irb
and it will not work).