@Paul:

You need to disable forgery protection on the login action in order to
use a static home page.

Assuming your login is processed by restful_authentication's
sessions_controller.rb, add this to that class:

protect_from_forgery, :except => [:create]

That's it. If that's unacceptable to you, remove the login form from
the homepage and replace it with a link to the login page.

Hope that helps!