There are many ways to accomplish this, none of them are easy...

There's ai4r's backpropagation nueural nets implementation, with a
simple OCR example at http://ai4r.rubyforge.org/neuralNetworks.html

There's also gnu Ocrad, which I've never used:
http://www.gnu.org/software/ocrad/,
and just found http://gtamilocr.sourceforge.net/ which does OCR for
Tamil characters as well.

I'd be glad to hear other suggestions...