Thanks a lot for your replies!

Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to work
- no error message whatsoever (log, etc.)
- emails are printed entirely in the log
- emails are not stored in the database table
- even if I set delivery_method = :smtp, the emails are not sent

If anyone has an idea why, I'd be really happy to hear about it...

I have:
- ruby 1.8.7 (2008-08-11 patchlevel 72) [i486-linux]
- Rails 2.3.2
- switched from the original ar_mailer gem to the adzap-ar_mailer gem