Could you please recommend tutorials on developing one's own
authentication mechanisms, without the use of industrial-strength plugins?

Is this tutorial from 2006 obsolete?

   http://www.aidanf.net/rails_user_authentication_tutorial

I spent several person-days trying to install and use
restful_authentication, but it was mostly a frustrating, labor-intensive
exercise in futility. [1, 2]  I then found this prescient article by
David Heinemeier Hansson from 2005:

http://weblog.rubyonrails.org/2005/11/11/why-engines-and-components-are-not-evil-but-distracting/

I don't share his philosophical issues with pluggable engines, but in
practice, he seems to have been spot on.  Impressive!

[1] The current issues are FixtureClassNotFound errors in the
out-of-the-box unit tests on Debian; I've tried Ruby 1.87 and 1.9.1,
each with two variations of restful-authentication:

   http://svn.techno-weenie.net/projects/plugins/restful_authentication/
   http://github.com/technoweenie/restful-authentication/tree/master

(Why are those different, anyway?)  FWIW, after some minor bug-fixing,
the plugin works fine on Mac OS X.

[2] I've also had headaches with git, which has a steep learning curve,
no matter how vehemently Linus decrees otherwise.