On Apr 8, 12:10 pm, Adam Akhtar <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>
wrote:
> ive found that this pattern is called multi stage download. Its used by
> kayak.com which is famous for its user interface. That site makes
> finding cheap flights actually enjoyable.
>
> Here are some general background links i found
>
> this discusses the pattern in general
>
> http://ajaxpatterns.org/Multi-Stage_Download#Code_Example
>
> and this is a review of the user interface for kayak
>
> http://konigi.com/podcast/kayak-com
>
> But i still dont know where to start looking for a rails implementation
> how to.
>
> Where should i start looking (ive googled for ages, cant find anything
> appropriate)

Given that this is all client side, what would a rails implementation
be (maybe the odd helper function but the lack of them certainly
shouldn't stop you getting started).

As far as your particular case goes all you need is something on the
page that every however often pings your controller to say 'do you
have any more data for me'. It would be wise to push the actual
scraping into a separate process

Fred