Phlip wrote:
[...]
> An "URI" is an URL. Rails packs records into them like this:
>
>   .../controller/action?record[first_name]=norbert&record[last_name]=theNark

I don't use GET with [] very often in Rails, but when I have done so, I
have noticed that the [] are always URL-encoded as %xx (don't remember
the number offhand).  Either [] are illegal in URLs or the browser is
playing it safe.

Could you use POST or custom routing in this case?

> The params method unravels them into params[:record] as a convenience.
> But does
> the industry in general support this use? or is it an artifact of
> "browser
> forgiveness"?

PHP does it, as others have pointed out.

> And has anyone ever seen user-agents convert them to "record first_NAME
> " for no
> reason?

Surely not!  That's bizarre!

A thought: I reported a weird bug with nested params[] back in January
or so (check this list or Lighthouse).  Fred patched it, but I don't
know when the patch made it into core, if it ever did.  Perhaps this is
related?

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser