I am not sure exactly what you would do, I am also not sure exactly what you
are doing with the xml.  It just seems that an erb view is the ideal tool
for generating html to be sent to the client.  Is there a lot of xml or is
it just a wrapper round the html?  If only a wrapper then you could generate
that 'by hand' so to speak in the erb file also, or in the layout file.

Can anyone else help? I do not really know what I am talking about here.

Colin