I have a site that includes a Flash navigator banner.
Rather than have the designer go in and change the links ($$), I would
like to redirect his links to mine.

His links are in the form "pagename.html".

I need each of these links to instead be directed to actions within my
home controller.

I have done the following:

map.connect "pagename.html",
  :controller => 'home',
  :action => 'pagename'

which works fine as long as I was not displaying a page from a
controller at the time. i.e. I was displaying a page from "public".
However, as we know, if I was displaying a page from the "step1"
controller, this mapping would not work since the url is now
"/step1/pagename.html"

Of course, I could make entries for every controller to handle this but
what I really want to do is something like

map.connect "^.*pagename.html"

so Rails ignores everything up to the pagename.html part.

I tried using

map.connect "*pagename.html"

but this doesn't work.

Any ideas?