There is no Rails solution for this, cause upload is normally controlled by
the server.. If you (like me) don't want or can't use Flash based solutions,
you should work using modules on the server and creating client side
solutions using Javascript.

At this moment i'm working in something like that, the solution is really
not trivial, but not very complicated.

Here you can see an example (about progress bar):

http://railsillustrated.com/screencast-file-uploads-progress-in-rails-passenger.html

One side effect for this approach is that this turn much more complicated to
test the process, but between choose a dependency at client side and a
dependency at server/development side, i really prefer the second one.

--
Everton J. Carpes
Mobile: +55 53 9129.4593

"If art interprets our dreams, the computer executes them in the guise of
programs!" - Alan J. Perlis