I think you need to provide more information for us to understand the
problem (for me to understand it anyway). Can you post the code you are
using to search for name "abc xyz" which is being turned into a query
"abc-xyz" as that is very odd.  If you could post an extract from the code,
an extract from the log showing the query, and the table structure then
someone may be able to work out what the problem is.

Colin