No /w will not work. And . (period) will not work either.
here is asdjflaw日本erjocd some text
the japanese within this text looks like this \346\227\245\346\234\254
in unicode.
it would not be matched by /w (letter or number set) or . (any
character).
each of the \ddd sets in the unicode character would be matched by a .
(period)

I am sure someone has a solution for this, but it is not me.

unicode geniuses HEEEEELLLLLP ください。
tim