Hello Colin,

I did mean <% instead of <@ and I did have some identifiable text with
each view name version.  Just cut out what I thought was extraneous to
the post.   I looked at the development.log and it is clean.  The only
differences between the view name versions were the expected time/
session/performance/etc.

The thought occurred to me that perhaps the use of duplicate view
names was the unlikely problem.  I've used 'display' as a view name
several times across different folders.  But I renamed everything and
eliminated this as an issue.

So for now I am left with a Ruby on Rails app that just has a quirky
bias against 'display' as a view name.  There are plenty of
alternative naming options and alternatives seem to work. So
ultimately not a big deal, though I'll be carrying a niggling
suspicion that something will pop up and bite me one day.

Thank you much for the replies and support.  As I indicated earlier,
this forum serves as a sanity safety net that keeps me from doing
regrettable things to my computer.  If I ever turn up an explanation
for the problem I will pass it on.

Cheers, Bill