> If you are wanting Rails to stop processing, what should it do?
> What are you really wanting to achieve?

I just want the URL to be served-up as a static page.

> The normal use case is that static files are not served by Rails but
> in that circumstance, another server would serve them *before* Rails.

I don't understand that.  As configured out-of-the-box Rails serves
the static page public/index.html as a home page.  Although I have
never done it, I assume that I could simply modify that static page
and use it as the home page for a site.  I just want to accomplish
essentially the same thing.  I want to be able to have a few
static .html pages in public/static, e.g. public/static/test1.html.
In the case of this example, I don't want 'static' to map to a
controller and 'test1' map to an action.  It would be my understanding
that that is what would happen if there were some sort of beginning
instruction in the routes.rb file to the effect that if a URL begins
with /static there should be no further processing thus the standard
mappings to a controller and an action would just not be invoked WRT
that particular URL.

Anyway, I didn't mean to get carried away here.  I believed that I was
just missing some minor point and that someone would square me away
with ease.  Apparently the point isn't as trivial as I had thought.

Thanks for the input.

          ... doug