I'm not a Rails pro, but I would like to make the following comments:
A model

   - represents your Data you deal with, like students/products... which you
   save in a database!
   - should include operations/methods which exclusively deal with the
   object/data, like setter/getter moethds and/or computing specific things
   like an access/activation code

The convention is, as far as I now, to keep the controller clean and light.
But in certain scenarios it make sense to keep some functionality in the
controller. However in you case I would definitely put it into the model.
"The method has absolutely nothing to do with a database", sure but it has a
lot to do with the data/objects you store there. You call that special
method on a specific object as I understand you point. You can do something
like
user.your_method or user.your_method(variavble1,variable2) where you define
your_method in the model file in rails.

Cheers & good luck,

Chris