Phoenix Rising wrote:
> So - and somebody please verify or correct my understanding - as long
> as the hash I pass in to update_attributes doesn't overwrite my prior
> manual assignment methods, this functionality should continue -
> through future updates to the framework - to work as expected -
> correct?

I believe that is a safe assumption.  I think Fred (two posts up) has a
valid point but may not be what you are worried about right now.

Usually, what I do is merge the added options in and then call
update_attributes.  Forgive the syntax but something like

new_options = params[:car].merge({
    :condition => "Good",
    :value => "$24,924"
  })

@car.update_attributes(new_options)

The general gist is (and I think you already know this):
  1) setting @car.xyz = 5 does not do a save
  2) update_attributes could blow away previous sets if it contains the
same attribute
  3) attributes not in the hash passed to update_attributes are not
altered (how could they?)

As far as "idioms", your style you will not see in Ruby code as often as
some form of merging the options and then calling update_attributes.  It
is a bit slower that way but Ruby programmers seem to want clarity over
a tiny bit if performance.