Gavin Morrice wrote:
> Hi,
>
> why not add a named scope to messages:
>
> named_scope :public, :conditions => {:public => true}
>
> So you can call either:
> user.messages
> messages.public
> or
> user.messages.public
>
> Is that what you're looking for?
>
> Also, I think the standard for join tables is to name them in
> alphabetical order, so messages_users.
>
> Gavin
>
> On Jun 21, 7:05�am, Alexander Trauzzi <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-

Hey, wow!  That's really neat!  I'm surprised I didn't read about this
in my ActiveRecord book.  (I've only been skimming on a need-basis)

That's neat that you can combine them, *or* run chains of them.

So I've done a bit of online research about the named scopes, and I just
want to make sure that I'm not getting in any danger by starting to
write what may be some long named scope chains ;)

Knowing this, what I will end up doing (as my practical scenario is more
complicated than the example provided), is write several named scopes
and then tie them all together with one
"canRead/canWrite/canModify/canDelete/canCreate" named scope.

Obviously I'm heading in the direction of ACL here, but on a
per-instance level.

All suggestions and reactions are welcome :)