I just checked the Spam inbox and all the failed messages ended up in
there.
What does this mean, how would char case make this happen?

Here's some answers to your other Qs...

No exceptions are thrown. The site logic flows as if everything worked
as planned, the production log also states that email was sent to the
correct address. The log says the exact same thing whether the email
showed up in my mail client or not.

Thanks for working with me on this Fredrick!