I am trying to make a very simple login page that has light-box like
features. The only thing I cannot get to work is the behavior of the
actual login button.
When you click on it it does nothing. I simply want to submit the info
given by the client and redirect either to a private page or make the
client log in again. Here is the code for my log in box view:

<%= text_field("userform", "user_name",:size=>"20" ) %></td><br>
<%= password_field("userform", "password",:size=>"20" )
%></td><br>
<%= submit_tag 'LOG IN', :onclick =>remote_function(:url =>
{:action => :authenticate, } ) %></td><br>
onClick='document.getElementById("loginpopup").style.display = "none"'>

And here is the code from my controller for the authentication action I
am calling on:

class UserController < ApplicationController
def authenticate
        @user = User.new(params[:userform])
        valid_user = User.find(:first,:conditions => ["user_name = ? and
password = ? ",@user.user_name, @user.password])
        if valid_user
        session[:user_id]=valid_user.user_name
            redirect_to :action => 'private'
        else
            flash[:notice] = "Invalid User/Password"
            redirect_to :action=> 'login'
  def login
  end
  def private
  if !session[:user_id]
    redirect_to :action=> 'login'
  def logout
      if session[:user_id]
          reset_session
          redirect_to :action=> 'login'

When I tried typing the code
 submit_tag 'LOG IN', :onclick =>remote_function(:url =>
{:action => :authenticate, } )
into irb, I got this error message:
NoMethodError: undefined method `remote_function' for main:Object

There may be a simple error that I am making, as I am pretty new to the
ruby language. Also, if anyone knows another way to do this that will
work with the partial rendering I use to display the login box, that
would be fine, too.