So yes, it's important to write your topic with something specific and
interesting so that the experts want to read and help.  But with some
luck, you'll still get views with a poorly written topic.  There's a
better (in my opinion) reason to be specific -- to help the people who
have the same issue tomorrow.  I try to write a topic such that if it
had already existed (started by someone else last year, for example)
my google searches would have revealed this based on title alone.  In
light of that, something along the lines of "How can I make Model.find
use a SQL WHERE clause?" is even better than "Need assistance with
model/query issue" (possibly you agree and were just trying to keep
the example generic).

Sometimes if I'm not familiar with terminology I'm tempted to be
vague, but think of it this way: if I'm specific and inaccurate,
hopefully someone corrects me.  Maybe my problem is well understood,
and I just didn't know how to search for it.  The next person who is
equally confused benefits from my specific topic title.

On Jul 13, 10:17 am, "Älphä Blüë" <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>
wrote:
> Example of a bad topic thread:
>
> "I'm having trouble, please help"
>
> -- this doesn't describe anything and your topic might be avoided.
>
> Example of a good topic thread:
>
> "Need assistance with model/query issue"
>
> -- this describes the problem as being related to models/queries.

This is a great thread, by the way!  I've been using primarily:
Programming Ruby: The Pragmatic Programmer's Guide for a solid
understanding of the language, Agile Web Development with Rails, and
the guides at rubyonrails.org.  I'll try out some of your other
suggestions tonight.  Found anything good on Rails + Ajax yet?  I
can't decide whether to order Scott Raymond's book or not since the
abstract seems to indicate I can learn the same things reading
script.aculo.us reference material.