I would presume that using cookies could open you up to certain security
holes and additional programming confusion.   Also, ROR is already mainting
the "session" using cookies.  The session is provided to you as a construct
to avoid additional programming effort. You are kinda sidestepping that by
using your own cookies.

I'm not sure but maybe ROR provides the ability to presist sessions so they
don't use too much memory.

Jim
http://www.thepeoplesfeed.com/contribute