I am learning new, was comfortable with 1.2.x

I always used Ezra's ez-where plugin for finds, especially complex finds
but I see it hasn't been updated since 2006 so I am real leery to start
with it now on a new project in rails 2.3.2

What I want to do is rather complex and ez-where handled this for me
simply. I want to...

@debtor = Debtortrans.find(:all,
  :conditions => ["trandate > ? and trandate < ? AND taxauthid = ?",
 @per1, @per2, "24"],
  :joins => 'LEFT JOIN debtortranstaxes ON
 debtortranstaxes.debtortransid=id')

but I actually want

trandate > ? AND trandate < ? AND (
  taxauthid = ?
or
  taxauthid = ?
or
  taxauthid = ?
or
  taxauthid = ? )

Is there a modern plug-in for complex finds like this - ala ez-where or
how would I construct this in a single 'conditions' statement if I go
without plugin?

Craig

believed to be clean.