Marion T wrote:
> Hello
> I am not a developer. I have a project that I plan to have developed
> (in RoR)

Why have you chosen Rails before finding a developer?  Rails is great,
but in most cases it's more important to find a good developer, and let
him or her pick the technology.  (Of course, if you have some external
requirement for using Rails, that's a different matter.)

[...]
> The next part is more complicated for me, and I would like the
> community's feedback on which of the following ways of handling the
> task might be the most feasible in order for me to have the output
> that I want/need. As I have not made my final selection yet for a
> developer, it would be inappropriate for me to ask them.

I believe you're going about this backwards.  Make your final selection
of developer, and *then* have this discussion with the developer.  This
is the sort of decision that the developer should be involved in -- not
a bunch of random people on a mailing list. :)

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser
http://www.marnen.org