We have a similar problem, and the two options we saw were:
1) cron job that ran either rails or sql command to prune the table
2) a function that runs when something else happens (like login/logout)

We ended up choosing 2, just because it was easier to implement (didn't
have to play around with cron jobs etc).

Cheers
Simon