Marmen,

Is created_at the standard way of doing that (I alwasy put in certain
fields in my tables -- a timestamp field, a crossref field -- which is
a string that would be the index of the field in another db whose
structure might be trying to follow mine or vice versa).

Additionally, I'm not even sure how to perform this in my rails app. I
see an ActiveRecord.find_by_sql and count_by_sql but there is nothing
more generic whic hwould allow me to perform an SQL delete statement
out of rails -- is there?

Thanks for your help on this guys. I had a hard time getting my head
around this and am most grateful to your help! -RVince.