I suspect this has been asked 400 times, but Google yields 2-3 rather
complex gymnastics in blogs (and possibly dated), and searching list
archives on ruby-forum proves kinda useless.

Using standard forms, it's fairly easy to use
@object.errors[:field_name] in the form to embed an error message right
next to the field that has the invalid entry. The controller uses a
simple conditional with redirect_to to re-display the form if needed.

I don't understand how to reproduce this same straight-forward process
when the form uses a form_remote_tag.

Is there a simple, universal process for this, or does it really take 40
lbs of hacks to accomplish like the blogs all seem to suggest?

If it makes any difference, I do not want some generic red box at the
top of the page saying there's errors below. I want the error messages
displayed with the input fields.

Quite lost -- clues appreciated.

-- gw