I need to auto generate a guaranteed to be unique number or string to be
used something like this in a partial view <div id=<%=unique_div_id%>>

I thought of using time.now but that only goes to seconds. I have tried
rand(time.now) but that does not guarantee a nique ID.
There would be more than one partial created within any given second
hence the need for time in milliseconds.
It doesn't have to be a time function it can be anything so long as it
is fast, minimal memory footprint and can be stored in a variable for
use with a link_to_function that will toggle the visibility of the div.

I thought that this would be such a simple thing to do but I have been
tearing my hair out over this for days and I need a solution real fast.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

James